Spend $250 or more, receive a FREE Body Wrap.

0

Your Cart is Empty

Toad Poisoning in Dogs

June 26, 2020 2 min read

Toad Poisoning (or toxicity) happens when a dog is exposed to the toxins secreted by certain species of toads. All toads secrete a substance through their skin that is foul tasting to other animals. Deadly species of toads, when threatened, secrete a highly toxic chemical that is absorbed through membranes in the dog’s mouth, and sometimes the eyes. Upon entering the bloodstream, the toxins target the heart, blood vessels, and the nervous system. Dogs are typically exposed when they pick up one of these toads in their mouth.

 

Toads are slow moving creatures, which is why they must make up for their slow escape. Most common species of deadly toads are they Sonoran Desert or Colorado River Toad the Marine, or Cane Toad. These are all quite large reaching 8 or 9 inches in length as adults. They are typically only found in Arizona and California, as well as in Texas, Florida, Hawaii, and other tropical areas. Encounters are more common in summer months or during higher times of humidity. These toads are most active after a rainfall or during dawn, dusk, and nighttime.

Signs of Toad Toxicity:

 

  1. Drooling or salvation
  2. Pawing at their mouth or eyes
  3. Difficulty breathing
  4. Diarrhea
  5. Head-shaking
  6. Vomiting of yellow fluid
  7. Overheating

These signs appear within minutes after exposure. As time progresses, the clinical signs can become more severe leading to seizures, collapse, and severely irregular heart rhythms, and eventually death. A specific antidote for toad toxins is not available. The most effective treatment for acute toad toxicity is a complete flushing of the mouth with running water. Owners should do this immediately, and prior to seeking veterinary care. the mouth should be flushed so that the water flows away from the throat to prevent drowning.

Quick action is necessary for a good outcome. Do not leave pet food or water bowls outside—they will attract toads, and dogs can become ill just from eating food or drinking water that a toad has come into contact with. If you leave your pet outside, use a raised water bowl and be sure to change the water frequently. Toads are most active early in the morning and at night. You can also reduce the risks of toads coming towards your house by keeping your grass short. However, avoiding dangerous toad exposures in the first place is the best way to protect your furry friends.



Also in Blog

Breed Spotlight: Bernese Mountain Dog
Breed Spotlight: Bernese Mountain Dog

January 22, 2021 2 min read

The history of the Bernese Mountain Dog is that it was a farm dog of the midland regions of Switzerland. They were primary used as a companion and watchdog to farmers and their families. These beautiful-looking Swiss farm dogs takes his name from the area of Bern, where he likely originated.
Have You Heard of Apitherapy?
Have You Heard of Apitherapy?

January 15, 2021 2 min read

Apitherapy is the method of using bee products for disease prevention or treatment. Honeybees produce honey, pollen, propolis, royal jelly, and beeswax all of which are used by people for nutrition, immune system support, treatment of a variety of ailments, skin care, and healing of open wounds. 
Equine Sacroiliac Injuries
Equine Sacroiliac Injuries

January 08, 2021 2 min read

The sacroiliac joint is a location where the horses back and pelvis meet. It transfers the action of his hind legs to his back, translating the push into forward motion.  The sacroiliac joints are stabilized by strong ligaments that join the iliac bones to the sacrum and to the backbone.